Making Phabricator More Public-Friendly

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 01:19:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:53:20 -0700
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 04:51:50 -0500 (EST)
> Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > I was able to get the root uri display a similar page as what a
> > > logged in user can see:
> > >
> > > https://phab.qadevel-stg.cloud.fedoraproject.org/
> >
> > I see only the sidebar and a blank page:
> > http://i.imgur.com/Z8EBlDx.png
> >
> > Is that expected? Could we for example display the Feed contents on
> > that blank page?
>
> Yes, that is expected. I thought I mentioned it, but obviously that
> didn't happen.
>
> As part of making the landing page public, I had to disable most of
> the queries that populate the main panel when folks are logged in
> since they used user-specific data. I didn't populate it with
> anything new since it was mostly a proof of concept, though.
>
> We can change how that page is populated to make it look more like
> blender's site or do pretty much whatever we want with it. Static HTML
> is the easiest thing to do but once we get into hacking at the page,
> changing stuff isn't a huge deal.

I put an example bit on qadevel-stg. It would need fleshing out and
probably some more borrowing code from blender's instance (so it's
processed as phabricator UI items instead of raw HTML), but you get the
idea.

Any thoughts on what that page should contain?

> > > It does require hacking on the code and as near as I can tell, the
> > > changes can't be done as an extension. The changes are pretty
> > > sane, though so I'll start a conversation with upstream on
> > > whether they'd be interested in a patch.
> >
> > Great. However, I wouldn't like to keep you distracted from
> > Taskotron. I was interested in some changes, if they are possible,
> > to improve the public access. But at the moment I think it's not as
> > important as coding the Taskotron basic infrastructure. So it
> > depends how much time-consuming this is.
>
> Agreed. I'm planning to focus on taskotron runner stuff today since
> multiple folks are blocked on that work. Once we figure out what we'd
> want in the main panel for the public landing page, I'll update
> phabricator to a newer revision and include the changes as a patch.

Well, I didn't quite end up doing this. I figured that now was a better
time to get phabricator modifications started while it's fresh in my
mind so I don't have to re-learn all this later. That and I got
distracted a couple of times with other items and this is easier to
interrupt.

I've updated qadevel-stg with a new version of phabricator and added a
patch to allow for the public landing page, and the projects
application to show up higher in the sidebar menu.

I put the code in the qadevel-tweaks branch on a github fork of
phabricator:

https://github.com/tflink/phabricator/

I also sent through and uninstalled a bunch of applications which we
don't use.

Thoughts on the new look? If you have time, please poke at the staging
instance. It's a new version of phabricator, fedora instead of rhel,
git repo hosting enabled and the custom patches I mentioned above. It
really does need some testing before we move it to production.

Tim