Coding Style

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 11:16:52 UTC 2014

> > But if there's a strong desire for more columns, I'll manage. Can't
> > hinder the team, can I? :)
>
> It amuses me that you're strongly "80 columns only" for code but are
> pretty anti-column-width-restriction on email :)

Yeah, it's a bit ironic. It's mostly about available tools and how they (fail to) work. Like Zimbra.

But the core ideological difference is that email is text, and there's no reason not to wrap it/re-flow it. OTOH the visual style is essential for code, and can't be wrapped/re-flowed (that makes it very unreadable).

Is there someone who has issues with reading my long unwrapped lines? What are the issues? Are there any email clients which can't autowrap lines? I don't really know about any.

> In general, I'm fine with the 80 column restriction on code but I'd
> like it not to be an absolute restriction. There are just somethings
> that end up being more readable with relaxed column width guidelines
> (some strings, hyperlinks etc.).
>
> Would you be OK with ignoring some longer lines assuming that we have a
> tool that can ignore those violations in a sane way?

Sure, makes sense to sometimes ignore the restriction. I'm just not sure if it can be configured somehow, i.e. I assume we will see those lines permanently as false negatives.