beaker usage questions

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Tue May 27 07:48:01 UTC 2014

On 05/23/2014 10:31 PM, Tim Flink wrote:
> I'm trying to weigh priorities of all the different things that we
> could be working on right now but one thing I'm still a little
> unclear on is what people would use beaker for if it was working
> and publicly available.
>
> If you're one of the folks who would use a publicly accessible
> beaker instance for testing fedora, I'd appreciate some details on
> what you'd plan to be doing with that instance.

I started replying before realising that since we already have
accounts, our usage isn't contingent on "publicly accessible". So the
only thing we'd be after is public *read-only* access to the results
pages (so we can link to them from Gerrit without folks getting odd
access denied errors), rather than needing general access for folks to
run jobs.

> Specifically, I'm looking for:
>
> What tests would you be looking to do?

Run the Beaker self-tests as CI against (F20?/CentOS 6?)
Run the Beaker self-tests against Fedora rawhide to provide advance
notice of any backwards compatibility breaks in our dependencies.

> How often would the tests be run?

For Gerrit triggered CI runs, on the order of half a dozen runs a day
(occasionally more if we're iterating heavily on a patch).
For regression testing against rawhide - TBD. Hopefully Alexander or
Kamil can chime

> Are there enough people available cycles with sufficient spare
> cycles to handle running jobs and reading results?

Yes.

Yes (http://git.beaker-project.org/cgit/beaker-meta-tasks/tree/dogfood)

> Could you estimate when you'd need to have a working beaker install
> by in order to start running your tests for f21 (branch date of
> 2014-07-08, so sometime in July)?

As noted above, we can front run the timeline a bit, since we have
accounts already, even without FAS integration. That's probably worth
pursuing as a shakedown option before opening the instance up to
broader access.

Getting Beaker itself into Fedora is also on our todo list.

Cheers,
Nick.

- --
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Hosted & Shared Services
Software Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead