relval progress report

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 13:00:18 UTC 2014

> hey, folks - just in case no one spotted it on test@, I have been
> moonlighting as a python developer lately...

Before you even know it, you'll be a Taskotron developer, finishing it in a fortnight. That's what we're hoping for, anyway.

> https://www.happyassassin.net/cgit/relval/
>
> is a little thing I'm writing with the initial goal of making the
> process of kicking off a release validation event easy.

I spotted it but haven't tried it yet. Sounds great.

> In the true
> tradition of software projects, it already has a hopelessly confused
> naming history: it's now officially the module 'wikitcms' with the
> command line tool 'relval', but I didn't get around to renaming the
> repository yet...

I wonder, would it make sense to put it to our "misc" repo, rather than having the projects scattered around the web? I think it would be a good fit.
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fedora-qa.git/

It definitely makes the bookmarking process easier ;)

> right now it'll create the validation result pages for an event, and
> handle categories: it deals with the limitation in the magic template
> system that results in pages being in the wrong category, and makes sure
> the whole hierarchy of categories up to Test_Results is correct (per the
> SOP) each time you create an event.
>
> I'm trying to write it in such a way as to be reasonably extensible and
> re-usable, with an eye to making it do more later. I just had a quick
> look, and I think it may be possible to either fold testcase_stats into
> it, or rewrite testcase_stats to use it as a backend for at least some
> stuff and simplify it.

testcase_stats is Josef's baby, but I think there wasn't really an intention to revive it for F21 due to so many Fedora.Next and wiki changes. And there was the possibility to use moztrap for F22. But if you think it's viable and helpful to revive testcase_stats, we can have a look at it.

> testcase_stats is written to do MW API calls
> itself, which it doesn't really need to do, it could use mwclient as
> relval/wikitcms does, and it can probably use some of wikitcms'
> knowledge of what pages should exist for what events and so on. I do
> mean to add a property of ComposeEvent() which would be the result pages
> that currently actually exist for that event.

I used direct MW API in my stats-{wiki,bugzilla,bodhi} scripts and Josef got inspired by it in testcase_stats. I didn't know about higher level tools like mwclient, that's very helpful information. If we work on it further, I'm all for simplifying it by using a higher-level API.

Which reminds me, we totally failed to collect and send Alpha contributor stats. And the wiki script will probably need adjustments.

> i'd be very grateful for your comments / mocking laughter ;) thanks
> folks!

http://whyfiles.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/4.jpg

You're welcome.