Coconut failure for TC5

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 09:23:01 UTC 2015

> Hey folks! Anyone paying attention to the Project Coconut box logs
> might've noticed it failed when it tried to run against Alpha TC5. The
> problem is to do with the download URLs. I wrote fedfind to always use
> https://download.fedoraproject.org/ URLs for mirror HTTP downloads,
> but this turns out not to work great for TCs/RCs because of mirror
> lag, people (and Coconut) want the images immediately but mirrors
> don't pick them up for a few hours after the TC/RC is cut.

I think the problem is different. (Almost) nobody mirrors TCs/RCs. There are about 3 mirrors in the whole world which follow stage/ directory:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=/pub/alt/stage

Also, you would need to ask infrastructure folks, but I don't think download.fp.o can be used for this. I think it redirects to a random close mirror without actually checking the path you are requesting. If you wanted to be sure that the file is present, you would need to make calls like these in advance:
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?path=/pub/alt/stage/22_Alpha_TC4/Workstation/i386/iso/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-i386-22_Alpha_TC4.iso

Those calls are quite slow and probably expensive. And they change in time, you can't use them immediately after TC/RC is published. So, for anything under stage/, I believe using dl.fp.o is the best (and only) choice.