To RHEL or Not to RHEL?

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed May 13 14:56:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015 17:34:24 -0600
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 May 2015 17:16:09 -0600
> Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 May 2015 13:09:33 -0600
> > Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> > > Thats each virthost, not all virthosts having the same storage
> > > right?
> >
> > All of the virthosts (at least in each group of dev/stg/prod) would
> > have a chunk of shared storage used to store the canonical VM images
> > that we use to boot the disposable clients (the disk changes would
> > be done locally to the virthosts). This way we only have to build
> > them once instead of once per virthost.
>
> Would it be feasable to just build them once and rsync them between
> hosts? Or would you prefer shared storage?

Honestly, that hadn't even occurred to me. I think it may end up
depending on how we kick off the image builds but that sounds much
easier and more reliable than a shared filesystem.

> > In the back of my head, I'm thinking that it may make sense to store
> > logs and artifacts on a chunk of shared storage instead of
> > transferring everything to the taskotron master using buildbot. I
> > figure that may make sense if the shared storage is already set up
> > but this hasn't gotten past the "thinking about it" stage yet :).
>
> Yeah. We may be able to do a netapp nfs volume, we will have to see
> what all we can do once we move to our new c-mode filer.

I think it may be a little while before we're ready to look at doing
something different for the logs and shared storage - still at step 1
"make it work" in this whole process but will keep it in mind.

Thanks,

Tim