Building Images for Taskotron Disposable Clients

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 00:08:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:23:43 -0700
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > If we intended to mostly build those images on dev's computers, I'd
> > probably prefer virt-builder. But my current impression is that
> > local building will be a secondary option, and we'll primarily offer
> > pre-created images for download (even downloading them
> > automatically). Which makes sense, it's easier for the dev, and less
> > error-prone. So in that light (assuming no one has different plans
> > in mind), it doesn't really matter which technology we choose to
> > build it. Image size is a factor here, though. I don't have any real
> > numbers here, it would be very interesting to see the same image
> > (same package set, same filesystem size) built by both tools and
> > compare the output size (ideally even after running zerofree on them
> > and compressing them). My guess is that they should have the same
> > size (what would cause a difference?), but we might be surprised. Do
> > we have a volunteer to test this? :)
>
> I can give this a try later today - I have both tools installed on a
> machine here.

I've created images for taskotron using both taskotron-vmbuilder and
imagefactory. They're similar but not identical - I based the
imagefactory off the F22 cloud images instead of specifying the server
group install and virt-builder has some restrictions on what you can do
with disk space which imagefactory does not have.

I've put all the files up for review: the kickstart for imagefactory,
the yaml file for vmbuilder and both created images, gzipped.

https://tflink.fedorapeople.org/taskotron/testimages/

Time of creation operation
  imagefactory: 16m6.596s
  vmbuilder:    7m19.273s

Image sizes
  20151113-taskotron_server-22.qcow2.gz   818M
  20151113-taskotron_server-22.qcow2      11G
  20151113-imagebuilder-taskotron.qcow    3.0G
  20151113-imagebuilder-taskotron.qcow.gz 358M