RFE: Running createrepo_c on individual update packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 22 16:24:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:59:04 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:

> If createrepo_c does/can not exit with an error condition when it runs
> into problematic packages, how would we detect when one of these
> packages was processed by createrepo_c?

The tool ought to be modified to exit with error instead of hiding
the problem in arbitrary ways as it does so far.

> From the devel@ thread, it sounds like createrepo_c should emit log
> messages when it runs into invalid epochs but from my local testing
> with blktap-3.0.0-3.fc22.git0.9.2, I don't see the error and even if I
> did, I don't like the idea of scanning stdout/stderr for an error string
> to determine success/failure - it tends to be too fragile. I'm not
> saying that that I have a better solution to the problem with the
> current constraints, though.

The current test update prints a warning and then ignores the offending
Requires line completely, which is bad:

  $ rpm -q createrepo_c
  createrepo_c-0.9.1-1.fc22.x86_64

  $ createrepo_c -d .
  C_CREATEREPOLIB: Warning: Bad epoch in version string "%{epoch}:3.0.0-3.fc23.git0.9.2" for dependency "blktap(x86-64)" in package "blktap-devel-0:3.0.0-3.fc23.git0.9.2.x86_64"
  C_CREATEREPOLIB: Warning: Skipping this dependency

Such a warning is useless in fully automated build environments,
where nobody pays attention to such warnings.