Log Data Retention

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 18:24:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:20:03 -0600
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

I wonder if this ends up being the email list equivalent of talking to
myself :)

It just seemed like a cleaner way to separate my answers from the
questions

<snip>
> The questions raised so far are:
>
> 1. How long is long enough to keep log and execution data?

6-12 months should be more than enough but it might be worth trying
to keep a release-lifetime of logs (~18 months, including pre-release)

> 2. Should be be cleaning up anything that references builds/artifacts
> (like links in resultsdb) before we delete them?

Ideally, yes but I don't think it's worth more than a day's effort
for one person if we have proper 404 processing on the machine hosting
the artifacts.

If it does become an issue in the future, it wouldn't be difficult to

> 3. Do we want to put resources into figuring out whether the result
> was a PASS or FAIL before deleting it?

No, it's not worth the effort - I'd rather just store more logs than
put much dev time into deciding which logs to delete

> 4. Should fesco be involved in this decision?

Either way - I suspect that they're not going to have much of an
opinion and it adds bureaucracy to the process but I suppose that the
decision would be a bit more "official" if we asked them.

Tim