Week in Review

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 18:16:14 UTC 2008

- Fed a few thousand spams into spamassassin on hosted1 to prime it for
finding spam.  Also fed it a few thousand "ham" messages that were
previously sent to rel-eng at fedoraproject.org to make sure it knew what
to expect.

- Investigated why hosted1 seemed to be accepting way more mail than it
should.  Discovered that it was taking in mail for any FAS user
@fedorahosted.org which is just wrong.  Found the postfix setting to
make it look only at aliases for local delivery.  Tested it, then
deployed via puppet.

- Tested rawhide ppc on my new mini, discovered kernel bug and filed it.

- Discussed package signing and koji with Doug Chapman for preparation
of Fedora ia64 launch, as well as strategies for getting the ia64 gpg
key into the Fedora release.

- Investigated why mails weren't getting into Trac for rel-eng.  Spent a
lot of time debugging to realize that the email2trac script was
tracebacking due to the crappy spam detection code.  I hacked up a
temporary fix and asked on the Infra list for a better patch to it's
detection system.

- Started packaging the trac-xmlrpc-plugin so that we can use xmlrpc to
get reports about tickets and other things (like Eclipse integration).
Discovered that it is unlicensed, put out a call to the author to make
up a license for it.

- Got a hint about why repodiff is failing through cron.  Was able to
reproduce the failure by hand.  Got a workaround in place.

- Looked at using the xmlrpc plugin to get metrics and realized that
there was a trac plugin already in existance to do this.  Only it
requires trac 0.11, so I spent most of the day trying to get 0.11rc1 to
be packaged right.  Ran into issues regarding Trac's use of setuputils
in a non-FHS way.

- Had fesco meeting, lots and lots of discussion/argument about the
future role of FESCo.

- Cleaned up more spam and loops in the rel-eng tickets.  Started
looking into how we can better avoid this.  Realized that a lot of spam
that got through had a score of 3 so lowered the thresholds of
spamassassin and email2trac to match.  Also fed another couple thousand
emails through sa to learn about spam.

- Setup a test 0.11rc1 Trac instance on a workstation and played with a
copy of the pungi environment.  The upgrade went smoothly, now trying to
test some of the plugins we use.  End goal is to see the metrics plugin
useful.

- Committed patches for a couple koji tickets to git and pushed back up
stream.  Noticed that mikem hadn't pushed something he thought he did,
so that got a bunch more changes into upstream git.  Moving closer to
release time.

- Got replacement G5 from IBM and after verifying it works swapped the
harddirve with the dead one and got it back online in the installer
mini-lab.  Discussed what we're going to use it for in the near future,
more PPC compose testing and install testing as well as a ppc resource
for internal RH Fedora developers, as more PPC resources will be coming
available on the PHX colo soon for potential community use.

- Got the trac-metrix-plugin built locally and tested with the 0.11rc1
install of Trac.  It puts out some useful stuff, although my project
spaces are a little sparse to get good long term info from it.  Will be
testing with it more and should be able to produce some metrics results
from any existing project with a little file transfer and some other
fun.  Might put together a public-test instance to deal with the 0.10 ->
0.11 Trac transition for Fedora hosted.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!