Week in Review

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 14:27:37 UTC 2008

- Had releng meeting, discussed what we were going to do with custom
spins for this release.  Also decided that from a releng POV spins
should be a release feature and done in schedule with the release, and
done against GOLD content, not updates.  New spins would target the next
release.

- Fixed permissions on 9 updates, somehow they all got owned by root.
Made them match the 8 updates, will watch the next push attempt for what
goes wrong.

- Started triage duty for internal Red Hat rel-eng queue.  Re-acquainted
myself with the RT interface and read up on the services guide for the
tasks I'll have to do.

- Spent a good chunk of time looking into how we do embargo branches
internally so that we can disable this feature, reported in the RT how I
think it could be done.

- Walked Casey through the NewMaintainerContainment wiki page and
outlined what changes would be necessary.  Less work than originally
thought, could have it done relatively soon.

- Looked into Trac Spam filter plugin, could be useful for the sites
that allow anonymous ticketing, as well as add a layer of defense
against email spams getting into trac.  Thinking about setting up a Trac
SIG given that it's a large project and there are a lot of little pieces
but many people making use of it.  Will setup a more public test
instance to play with these plugins on as well as think about the 0.11
migration

- Tested repodiff change to handle no LANG being set.  It succeeded,
provided feedback to bug.

- Started playing with koji multicall API.  Makes things /much/ faster,
although it does require a bit of a re-think of how information is
gathered to make optimal use of multicall.

- Investigated issue brought up by Fernando regarding import.log
placement in our CVS system.  Dug into why the log was moved, and
realized that we never added import.log on the branches as a tracked
file in Fedora CVS.  Discussed with Toshio this issue and formulated a
bit of a plan to have Casey work on.

- Looked deeper at a couple of koji tickets, wrote up some discovery
information and tossed them over at MikeB as they were web related
issues.

- Submitted trac-spamfilter-plugin and trac-xmlrpc-plugin packages for
review

- Talked with Casey about a number of things to work on, including koji
personal repos, and delta rpms.  Discussed delta stuff at length and got
him going in a good direction with that.

- More triage work for internal RT queue

- Talked about future mash/pungify development with Bill and Seth with
an eye on speeding things up and making best use of available APIs

- Helped installer intern get going with rawhide testing

- Helped out fnasser some more on constructing a cvs setup for jpackage.

- Spent a day hacking on the current sign_unsigned script we're using
for Fedora.  Found lots of places that we can use multicall to speed
things up.  Using a sample set of 5 packages (55 rpms), tasks that were
taking 1.5 minutes have been reduced down to 7 seconds.  These are
mostly discovery tasks, not actual sign or import tasks.  However those
have been sped up, but it's more difficult to provide direct comparison.

- Talked with seth about the ia64 gpg key thing some more, prompted him
to investigate whether or not he can enable yum to support multiple keys
in a file before we go the route of multiple files.

- Replaced RHEL5 with rawhide on the quad G5.  Mostly to make it quiet
again, but it'll be useful when I start doing pungi changes and need to
test ppc composes.

- Worked on getting publictest2 re-installed for the proof of concept
testopia instance for the QA folks.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!