F11 naming election?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 16:04:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 08:41:01PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
>Josh, regarding the F11 naming election...  We're running 4 people
>elections all in December, as proposed on f-a-b.  But I don't know how
>the election for F10 (and earlier) were really run, or if December
>7-20 is a good time to have an actual election for such.
>
>The last election happened in July, so it's not too "off" schedule,
>but that was 8+ weeks after F9 launch, instead of 2 after F10...
>
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections
>has the F11 naming election penciled in, but if that doesn't mesh with
>the overall schedule, it can be run separately later if necessary.
>
>Please advise.

I don't think that is going to work.  Generally, we have the following
steps for Naming:

1) Announce and collect names (2 weeks)
2) Legal review of list (2 weeks)
3) Voting (1 week)

If we were to use that, and start today, we'd be a month out and just
barely make it in time.  However, this time around I want to do the
following:

1) Announce and collect (2 weeks)
2) Initial list culling by Board (1 week)
3) Legal review of culled list (2 weeks)
4) Voting (1 week)

The addition of step 2 in the second list of steps is a result of
doing the naming for F10.  We got a _lot_ of suggestions (which is
good) but quantity does not equate to quality.  The Board wanted time
to do some basic culling of the list to remove things that would be
obviously rejected by legal (trademarks, etc) and things that just plain
didn't make sense.

I plan on doing a bit of that in the initial list creation as submissions
come in, but I can't do it all myself.  So I think the added week is needed.
That would put us past a Dec start.

We could trim the collection time to one week instead of two.  Most of the
submissions come in during the first week anyway.  That might help some.

Pure scheduling aside, I think we need to get a feel from rel-eng, FESCo,
the Board on when the right time to start is.  I don't want to steal thunder
from the F10 release by having the F11 naming contest on-going before the
release date.

So here is my roughly proposed schedule:

1) Announce and collect names: Dec 1 (1 week)
2) Send list to Board for culling: Dec 8 (1 week)
3) Send list to legal for review: Dec 15 (3 weeks *)
4) Hold vote: Jan 5 (1 week)

* Realistically with the holidays in the middle of the legal review
window, we might as well ignore doing anything of importance during
the weeks of Christmas and New Years.  So I padded the legal timeframe
to push the vote out until Jan 5.

I've CC'd the interested parties, so feedback is more than welcome.

josh