PackageEndOfLife: firefox-32

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 21:49:58 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 11:04 -0700, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> No.  To be more precise, firefox itself does the specific thing that
>> firefox-32 intended.  The person who created the package did not
>> think
>> to check 'setarch i386 firefox' to see if that would work.  It does.
>>
>> nspluginwrapper solves a different problem really, but has a
>> by-product
>> that less people will want to run 32 bit browsers.
>>
>> I see no reason to allow stupid packages to clutter specfiles with
>> Obsolete/Provides, especially with the history of this package (me
>> having asked the packager to not go through with the package in the
>> first place, etc).
>
> Well I'm mostly concerned about the user experience for people that
> already have firefox-32 installed.  What does it depend on, what will
> show up as broken deps if firefox itself gets updated, etc...  Will this
> package just sit quietly and never harm the user by being installed?

There is no harm to the user having it installed.  It essentially is a
packaged up shell script that runs setarch i386 before invoking firefox
(though in a backward way).  nspluginwrapper will still work with this
package installed.  So will manually invoking setarch.  There is no
reason anyone needs it installed, but it will not harm anything to have
it installed.