Draft: Fedora 8 and 9 Updates Now!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 23:29:56 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:49 -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
> > Draft: Fedora 8 and 9 Updates Now!
>
> I think this is a great start.  What's missing is a pointer to a living
> document that we can change over time as new info crops up, something
> with a known issues section that people can go to when something goes
> wrong, and things like that.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_new_signing_key has been
overhauled, and here is the email text I'm working on, based on Warren's
first draft:

Subject: Fedora 8 and 9 updates re-enabled

In a few hours, updates for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9 will start hitting
mirrors.  These updates are designed to transition users from our old
repo locations to new locations that have all our updates re-signed with
a new set of keys.

Most users will simply need to apply the offered updates, and later
apply any further updates, and verify/import the new GPG key.

The process to getting new updates is two stage.

Stage 1) Users configured to get updates from existing repos will see a
small set of updates available in the next few hours/days.  These
updates include fedora-release, PackageKit, gnome-packagekit, and unique
(for Fedora 8, only fedora-release is offered).  These updates should be
applied as soon as possible.

Stage 2) Once the above updates have been applied, your update tools
(yum, PackageKit, pirut) will see a new repository and a larger set of
updates available.  This is your new standard flow of updates, that will
continue to see new updates as the lifetime of Fedora 8 and 9 progress.

There will be further milestones in the future that involve redirection
of release package repos to match that of updates, and removing of old
gpg key from rpm trust, but those will be later in the future.

For more details and an FAQ, please see
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Enabling_new_signing_key

Luke is working on getting update info and a couple more updates into
the .newkey location and when that's done, I'll move over the reduced
update dirs, and send this email.  In the mean time, I'm going to be AFK
for a few hours.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!