Schedule figures

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 21:04:26 UTC 2008

** Resent, apparently my addy for rel-eng was wrong. **

> Paul W. Frields (stickster at gmail.com) said:
> > Here are some ideas to consider (please add your concerns, and pose a
> > solutions to address them):
> >
> > * Move all dates in the current F11 schedule to the right by two weeks
> > (i.e. absorb two weeks of slip).  Similarly absorb remaining two weeks
> > of slip into the F12 schedule.  Further slip will move both F11 and F12
> > schedules to the right accordingly.
>
> Ooof. I'd hate to move F12 at this point. It sounds early to make
> that call yet. But yeah, we should probably move F11.

Yeah, just to be clear, if we don't slip beyond November 25 for GA, we
shouldn't have to disturb the F12 schedule at all (at least not
pre-emptively).

> > * Rigorously enforce freezing in a way that maximizes our chances of
> > turning out test releases on time.
>
> ... How? This has never worked so far, so I think we need some new
> ideas.

Probably, and they need to come from people smarter and more experienced
than me.  We might want to involve James Laska in this thread as well.
By the way, I don't know who-all's here on the rel-eng alias, but I am
assuming that this is an open-sub list -- I'm sure I've visited the
archives before so I know they're open.  If I'm wrong, someone tell me
so we can get this into the right open venue please.

--
Paul W. Frields