Alpha Freeze and branching spin-kickstarts

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 00:28:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 12:29 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>  That list would make for:
>
> - aos
> - broffice.org
> - desktop (permanent)
> - developer (dvd)
> - education (former education math)
> - electronic lab (dvd)
> - kde  (permanent)
> - games (dvd)
> - sugar
> - xfce
>
> This is 10 spins already, and more or less on the horizon is GIS/Geo,
> Security, LTSP and LXDE. Some of these may end up being combined
> (like
> XFCE and LXDE), but we're not sure yet.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I think it's entirely too many spins.  Looking at
http://spins.fedoraproject.org:6969/ the spins we've offered for F10
haven't been very popular.  The only ones with more than 10 complete
downloads are XFCE, KDE, and Desktop.  FEL reached over 10 if you
combine i686 and x86_64,  broffice comes close if you combine.

Do we really feel it's worth the time, effort, and resources to provide
these to only get a handful of downloads?  Perhaps we should drop some
of these very unpopular spins in favor of new ones to see if we can
generate more interest in them.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!