Updates pain

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:53:16 UTC 2009

We've now made the same change to the updates .mash configs that we made for
rawhide and it shaved 5 hours off the time it takes to mash f11-updates.  Yay!

The bad news is, it still took ~14.5 hours to mash f11-updates.  Obviously
this is due to deltarpms.  Probably also obvious is that we're aggrevating it
even more by delta'ing against both GA and previous updates repo for each
package.

Killing F9 updates will shave maybe 4 hours off the total push time.  Then
we're back into the realm of being able to do an updates push per 24 hours.
However, long term I don't think that will hold.  f11-updates mash time will
continue to grow as more packages are updated.  Once we start adding f12
updates, it's going to take 2x the time it takes now.

So I like deltarpms.  I think they are a win overall.  I would be sad if we
disabled them.  But unless we have some different approach to some part of
the push process or deltarpm creation, I think we're going to have some
difficulties in the not too distant future.

josh