Updates pain

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 6 19:05:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Tom \"spot\" Callaway wrote:

> On 07/06/2009 02:57 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Seth Vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> 1. autosign pkgs once built
>>> 2. delta them against GA and last-update once signed
>>
>> The only issue here is that 'last-update' (and to some extent, GA) is not
>> a concept known to koji (as latest-pkg != what is pushed). However, it can
>> be hacked around.
>
> This is a good point, there is a window where this could go wrong:
>
> foo-1.2.3-1 is the latest-pkg in dist-f11-updates
>
> foo-1.2.3-2 is waiting to push into dist-f11-updates from
> dist-f11-updates-candidate (or dist-f11-updates-testing).
>
> foo-1.2.3-3 gets built, deltas generate against foo-1.2.3-1 (latest
> pushed update)
>
> foo-1.2.3-2 gets pushed into dist-f11-updates.
>
> The deltas that were generated at buildtime are now pretty worthless. We
> also can't just delta against anything newer found in the
> updates-candidate or updates-testing tag, as there is no guarantee it
> will be pushed.

we can do both, though.

If, given what we've seen, most of the time of the deltas is NOW being
sucked up running makedeltarpm then we can:

1. make them against last available at build/sign time
2. copy the ones we've made into the drpms dir for the createrepo run
3. createrepo --deltas - which will only make drpms if there is not a drpm
already present.

So we'll catch the ones missed in the scenario you mentioned above but the
vast majority of them will already be made, since I'd bet the above
scenario is not the common case.

We don't have to be perfect, just good.

-sv