TeX Live 2008/9 packaging and you

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 18:25:00 UTC 2009

On 06/03/2009 10:56 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:

> So while I think flexibility is good, having almost 4000 subpackages seems
> a bit excessive.  Is the split done for licensing reasons alone?  If so, could
> we make larger groups by license or even just a single 'texlive-misc'
> subpackage?

As a follow on -- Is this a preliminary for gradually turning off
certain subpackages in texlive and instead building them as wholly
separate packages?  ie: with this change it becomes easier for us to
start packaging the actual upstream for the bits and pieces that make up
texlive and gradually reducing the 4000 subpackages to something more
reasonable?

-Toshio