TeX Live 2008/9 packaging and you

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 18:56:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 13:27 +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> texlive-2008 cons:
> * 3944 subpackages, texlive.spec is 2.7 MiB in size
>   - this is huge number. I need to catch up with releng guys whether
>     the repo metadata growth isn't too big and how to workaround it

Adding 4K rpms to the various arch repodatas is going to hurt yes, but
it's just growth.  The real pain here is doing it as subpackages from a
single srpm.  This is a show stopper.  It means any change to any part
of any subpackage would require bumping 4K rpms, generating 8K as many
deltas, etc...  Doing an update in bodhi would be crazy.  This really
really really needs to be done as individual srpms.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!