Problems with QEmu in rawhide / F11 Beta

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 11:30:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 08:12:41AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 16:03 +0100, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Josh and Seth on IRC made clear this required your approval and you
> > needed to be made aware to void problem when composing the F11 (beta)
> > tree,
> >
> >   Opinion ? Really the perspective of carrying Epoch over all Fedoras
> > just because a wrong version leaked in Rawhide for 2 days looks a bit
> > excessive, we would prefer to avoid this. Oh and please can you make
> > sure we have libvirt-0.6.1 in the beta ?
> >

> Sadly, this decision isn't mine anymore.  FESCo has made it abundantly
> clear in the past that at no point should rawhide "go backwards" with
> the upgrade path.  The only time you can save your epoch is if a rawhide
> hadn't been composed between your builds.  So unless you can convince
> FESCo members to grant your request, this isn't happening.

  Rawhide had been composed, multiple times, but the new packages
could just not update or install due to the missing dependancy I raised.
I guess nobody uses qemu in Rawhide, because any yum update in that
cases would die on dependancy problem, the same dependancy problems
I raised as my original "libvirt can't rebuild". This morning european
time yum update was still broken due to qemu package.
  Anyway a new epoch thing has been pushed as a result, this could have
been prevented if the situation had been looked at instead of using a
blanket argument and chastinizing me in Freenode fedora-devel.

> Epochs aren't a terribly evil thing, they're just a fact of life and
> easily dealt with.  They shouldn't be something to be overly scared of.

  Epochs are untractable, incomprehensible to users, you can't get rid
of them once you're tainted, if that's not "terribly evil" that's at
least fairly broken.

> Also, you have until late next Monday to get your libvirt into beta.
> The Feature Freeze was yesterday, but that's when all features should
> have been testable.  The Beta freeze is a week after Feature Freeze to
> give time to integrate and fix up remaining bugs before we freeze the
> content.

  Build raised another problem in libgcrypt-1.4.4-3.fc11 which should
be fixed in libgcrypt-1.4.4-4.fc11 thanks to Thomas Mraz.

  In general I find that dealing with the developpers and packagers for
Fedora to be a very positive experience, but any contact with the meta
gods on organization level to be catastrophic, especially for the last
5 years, so not a single person problem, or I'm the problem that's
possible too.
  I took the comment about being a whiner very personally, I guess
I come and ask only when there is problems I can't fix by myself,
and that's due to the general attitude I perceive from Fedora instances.
It's very easy to misinterpret people argument especially when one doesn't
want to listen and publicly dismiss them. It's a growing problem
unfortunately.

Daniel