Fwd: F13 Schedule Proposal--please RESPOND

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 18:49:53 UTC 2009

John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
> I have had a Fedora 13 schedule drafted for several weeks based on the
> methodology we've established from previous releases.
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-key-tasks.html

Just as a starting point, this schedule seems rather wrong; historically
the alpha/beta interim time is a month, roughly. You've scheduled
6 weeks. It appears you're just adding the amounts we slipped this
release into the schedule at the points where we slipped this release.

If I was tweaking what you've had posted, beta moves one week later
relative to the final date, and alpha moves two, if not three weeks later.

> Questions:
> 1) Are we truly getting value out of the "Halloween/May Day" principle?

We are getting value of having a predictable release, IMO. If we want
to shift that slightly, we can, but I don't think moving to a cycle
where each slip slides all subsequent releases that same amount really
helps; we end up releasing at a semi-random time each year.

> 3) With the advent of the test days and ISOs for those events, are we
> getting any value out of the weekly snapshots during Alpha?  Should we
> keep doing them?

No.

> 4) Add new milestones for Desktop freezes, polish, and "work all done."

... how is 'work all done' something that's not already tracked?

Bill