Tag the F-12 updates?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:15:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 04:33:26PM -0400, Warren Togami wrote:
>jwb commented that it was a bad idea to open F-12 to updates this early.

I didn't quite say it was a bad idea.  It was more of a "hm.  we shouldn't
have enabled them yet."  I also said I blamed myself.  Hindsight is 20/20.

>  He suggested that we should drop all the current update requests and
>remind people to follow the tagging process instead.  This might be a
>better idea than auto-tagging everything in bodhi.

Right.  It would be basically a reset.

>OTOH, people did put effort into filing bodhi tickets and writing update
>notes there.  Perhaps this means that everything with bodhi tickets is
>already good enough for tagging.  We should auto-tag everything non-crit
>path and have two votes on the rest.

That seems like too big of a leap for me to take personally.  People file
updates-testing tickets to get any testing at all quite a bit of the time.

>Opinions?

I'm not leaning either way on the tagging.  My primary concern is that we
have a very large queue of updates that is ever growing and not being
mashed or published at all.  Combine that with auto-obsolete being disabled
and that means that we're going to have an abnormal amount of pain for the
first push.  Also, we aren't doing that first push until after F12 has
basically been staged to the mirrors (per my brief conversation with Jesse)
due to buildroot polution concerns.

All of that seems to make me think that we shouldn't have people submitting
updates yet.

josh