No Frozen Rawhide help

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 14:40:09 UTC 2010

Hi Docs team,

The release engineering team needs our help with some wiki revamping.
Specifically Rawhide, our development branch for software packages,
has changed in the Fedora 13 cycle, pursuant to what we call the "No
Frozen Rawhide" (NFR) proposal.

In the past, changes in Rawhide would slow as we got into the testing
(Alpha, Beta) phases for a release.  In theory, fewer changes would be
allowed in the closer we get to release, and those allowed in would be
subject to more scrutiny, to stabilize the release.  As a result,
right after the release is composed and tested successfully, Rawhide
would be unblocked like a dam, and the resulting flood of changes
would typically result in an unusable Rawhide for some time while
people pick up the wreckage and fix things.

Pursuant to NFR, we've just branched for Fedora 13 early, and
separated that branch from Rawhide.  Rawhide is now carrying those
packages that will be in Fedora 14, about 9 months from now.  As a
result, we can apply a higher level of scrutiny to the Fedora 13
branch, while Rawhide will continue to roll on, only hopefully without
a point of massive breakage.

A team of people gathered last Friday to put together explanations of
how this scheme works, and how it affects people in various
categories, including packagers, testers, mirror admins, and others:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan

What we need now is for a few people to help with fixing wiki pages,
most of which have been listed here on that page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/No_frozen_rawhide_announce_plan#Existing_Documentation

You don't need to be an experienced Rawhide user or tester to
understand the information on this page.  But if there are any
questions, everyone on the crew who participated in the NFR conference
last week is available on IRC to answer questions.

What do you need to do?

* Show up on IRC Freenode at #fedora-docs -- instructions for doing
  that are here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_IRC

* Ping me, "stickster," and tell me you want to help.  I'll get you
  started on a specific page.