EMEA Media, All desktop spins on one disc, All full install DVDs on one disc

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer sspreitzer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 13 10:17:49 UTC 2010

Dear freedorians,

we were researching the technical possibility of putting more then one
live cd on one disc.
The proof of concept succeded with these F13 compilations:
http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/

Zoltan Hoppar and the media company in Munich came up with the idea to
use dual layered DVD discs, which will allow us to store arround 8.5
GB of data.
This is where we are a looking now at the following proposed future
Fedora compilations:

- All desktop spins and related archs on one disc. ( Gnome, KDE, LXDE,
XFCE, Moblin - i686, x86_64 - arround 7GB ) PoC succeded. Tested and
working.
- All installer data and related arch on one disc. ( Full Fedora -
i686, x86_64 - arround 6.5GB ) PoC needed! Blocked due to anaconda
installer options and data paths/devices ( stage2 / repo ).

I requested a pricing quote from the media company in Munich for the
upper scenario,
the result is ~1,000.00 EUR cost savings while producing the same
amount of media ( 5,000 pcs ).
http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/mediaquotes/F14/quote_121010_DE.pdf

(We could even produce 10,000 pcs while staying in the budget for EMEA.)

My questions are:
- Can we solve the blocker on anaconda for the installer compilation?
- Should we start this approach by F14?

- By looking at F15, could we strip a "choose
live-desktop/arch/install" all-in-one dual layer disc?

Thoughts on hardware compatability:
By comment of the media company in Munich: Dual layer DVDs are not
compatible to all dvd players. But to most of them.
( Every DVD player who can play a movie DVD is likely compatible. )
In my humble opinion this is not a blocker for Fedora, which is about
being first and rapid releasing near to cutting edge.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer

http://spreitzer.name/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sspreitzer

Warum mache ich überhaupt dieses ganze OpenSource Zeugs?
Lesen Sie hier, warum;
http://de.windows7sins.org/