RFC: Fedora Spin for Scientific Research

Amit Saha droidery at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:16:57 UTC 2011

On 06/01/2011 01:07 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Amit Saha (droidery at gmail.com) said:
>> My current list of packages would then undergo a two-way split :
>>
>> 1. Mandatory science/engineering oriented generic packages like
>> texmaker,gnuplot,xfig..will just be included from @engineering and
>> scientific in my kickstart file.
>>
>> 2. Compilers/Interpreters/Programming language providing packages
>> like 'gcc','clojure','R' go as individual packages in my kickstart
>> file
>
> Or worked in as part of the development group; certainly a good
> chunk of what you need should be included there.

By excluding the packages, which I do not want installed is one way I
can think of. This will eliminate the need to specify certain individual
packages, but I might have to explicitly exclude more packages than I
need to explicitly include now.

Also individual "utilities" like 'rlwrap','screen' will still have to be
there, since they are either included in a group with other packages
which wouldn't necessarily be useful for a default install.

-Amit
--
echo $RAND: http://echorand.me