New package/branch procedure w/ pkgdb2

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 15 15:04:26 UTC 2014

> Good morning everyone,
>
> Couple of weeks back we started the discussion around the procedures to
> include
> new packages or request new branches for an existing packages [ticket, 1].
>

> The ticket that started this whole discussion is:
>
> At the meeting [2] we started to browse multiple scenario of procedure we
> could
> have around these processes.
> In order to kick-off the discussion further, I have tried to summarize
> below the
> procedure as it is nowadays and the two different procedures we came up
> with
> during the meeting.
>
> So here it is :)
>
> Cheers,
> Pierre
>

> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5931
> [2]
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meetbot/fedora-meeting-1/2014-06-30/releng.2014-06-30-15.39.log.html
>

> Current new-package procedure:
> ==============================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * packager creates the scm-request and set fedora-cvs flag to ?
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager)
> * cvsadmin processes the scm-request:
>   - Create git repo
>   - Create package in pkgdb
> * cvsadmin sets fedora-cvs flag to +
>
> New procedure (1)
> =================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * packager goes to pkgdb2 to request new package
>   - precises package name
>   - precises package summary
>   - precises package branches
>   - precises link to review on bugzilla
> * requests added to the scm admin queue
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager¹)
> * cvsadmin approves the creation of the package in pkgdb
> * package creation is broadcasted on fedmsg
> * git adjusted automatically
>

> ¹ we could check this automatically by checking which comment mentions
> 'approved'
> and checking who set the fedora-review flag to +
>

> New procedure (2)  - Relies on fedmsg/bugzilla integration
> =================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * automatically set fedora-cvs flag to ?
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager)
> * cvsadmin sets the fedora-cvs flag to +
> * flag change is broadcasted onto fedmsg
> * pkgdb automatically creates the package (w/ name and summary provided in
> the
>   review)

How does pkgdb know the fas name of the packager? By the email of the
reporter?
Maybe pkgdb2 could wait for the packager to approve the automatically
filled values and then could kick off, when the packager confirms?
This could then be merged with the next item below

> * packager goes to pkgdb2 to request new branches

Why is there a second check of an cvsadmin needed, when a new branch is
created by the "Main Contact" of the new package?
Shouldn't it be enough, to check above, if the review was sane with setting
fedora-cvs to +?

Another possibility would be to remove anything from above with
"fedora-cvs" and only one check of an cvsadmin below would be required.

> * requests added to the scm admin queue
> * cvsadmin approves the creation of the branches in pkgdb
> * branch creation is broadcasted on fedmsg
> * git adjusted automatically

Greetings,
    Tom