New package/branch procedure w/ pkgdb2

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jul 16 01:59:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:35:04 +0200
Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>
> Couple of weeks back we started the discussion around the procedures
> to include new packages or request new branches for an existing
> packages [ticket, 1].
>

> The ticket that started this whole discussion is:
>
> At the meeting [2] we started to browse multiple scenario of
> procedure we could have around these processes.
> In order to kick-off the discussion further, I have tried to
> summarize below the procedure as it is nowadays and the two different
> procedures we came up with during the meeting.
>
> So here it is :)
>
> Cheers,
> Pierre
>

> [1] https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5931
> [2]
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/meetbot/fedora-meeting-1/2014-06-30/releng.2014-06-30-15.39.log.html
>

> Current new-package procedure:
> ==============================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * packager creates the scm-request and set fedora-cvs flag to ?
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager)
> * cvsadmin processes the scm-request:
>   - Create git repo
>   - Create package in pkgdb
> * cvsadmin sets fedora-cvs flag to +
>
> New procedure (1)
> =================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * packager goes to pkgdb2 to request new package
>   - precises package name
>   - precises package summary
>   - precises package branches
>   - precises link to review on bugzilla
> * requests added to the scm admin queue
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager¹)
> * cvsadmin approves the creation of the package in pkgdb
> * package creation is broadcasted on fedmsg
> * git adjusted automatically

> ¹ we could check this automatically by checking which comment
> mentions 'approved' and checking who set the fedora-review flag to +
Doing everything automatically that we can should be done. another
area that needs automating is making sure epel requests are not in
RHEL proper, ideally a way to detect when a package is added to rhel
so we can automatically remove from EPEL

> New procedure (2)  - Relies on fedmsg/bugzilla integration
> =================
>
> * packager opens a review-request on bugzilla
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to ?
> * reviewer does the review
> * reviewer sets the fedora-review flag to +
> * automatically set fedora-cvs flag to ?
> * cvsadmin checks the review (check reviewer is a packager)
> * cvsadmin sets the fedora-cvs flag to +
> * flag change is broadcasted onto fedmsg
> * pkgdb automatically creates the package (w/ name and summary
> provided in the review)
> * packager goes to pkgdb2 to request new branches
> * requests added to the scm admin queue
> * cvsadmin approves the creation of the branches in pkgdb
> * branch creation is broadcasted on fedmsg
> * git adjusted automatically

I do not like the idea of a package automatically being added to pkgdb
to me this is a non starter. if we were to do it this way then we would
paste the request in bugzilla as we do today and pkgdb would need to
parse the request.

Dennis