private/topic branches in dist-git

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 16 16:31:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 12:38:02 +0200
Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2014 05:40 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 09 May 2014 15:38:03 +0200
> > Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've found a proposal [1] and removal manual [2] for private topic
> >> branches in Fedora dist-git, but no official documentation for
> >> that.
> >>
> >> What I'm looking for is a way to collaborate on some bigger change
> >> between co-maintainers or keeping a different dist-git content for
> >> copr build for example.
> >>
> >> I tried to create one such a topic branch with private- as a prefix
> >> and it seems to work fine. If that is an expected way to do such
> >> things, is there any documentation I just have not found or should
> >> we create one?
> >>
> >> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Proposal
> >> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dist_Git_Branch_Redux
> >
> > This is a releng issue please send an email to the releng list[1] or
> > file a ticket in the releng trac[2]
>
> Great, re-sending to rel-eng lists. Guys, can you make it a bit more
> clear to me, please?

The way things work now is that you can make any private branches you
like (as long as you have commit on the repo). However, you cannot
delete any of them ever, and have to request them be deleted by releng
folks.

The reason this was done is that there's currently no way to
automatically tell what branches someone did builds from. We never want
to delete things that are used for official builds.

Ideally we want to move to a way where official builds are only from
the specific named branches and those never can be deleted, but we
don't care about any other branches.

See https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5843 which would need to be
done for this to happen.

kevin