while true; do sleep 1h; rpm-ostree compose tree...; done

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 20:33:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:52:32AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 23:42:33 -0400
> Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So weeks keep going by here.  I have intense pressure from many people
> > to actually get content up to replace the completely ancient Fedora 20
> > based content we originally put up on projectatomic.io.
>
> Sorry about that.
>
> > I keep telling people "Oh don't use that", we're going to have Fedora
> > 21...and I was really hoping to have a truly final location for the
> > ostree repo where they would actually receive updates.
> >
> > But the problem is unless this appears soon, we have yet unfinished
> > work to figure out how to actually consume it.  We don't know if the
> > metalink code will work.
>
> My understanding from long ago is that we wanted to do these jobs in
> koji, so we would need a koji plugin to do them or a generic koji
> plugin that lets us run $command in chroot. But I guess that was
> longer term.
>
> Shorter term I think we were thinking of adding this to
> rawhide/branched composes (once a day). But yes, it would then need
> some way for people consuming it to hit mirrors for the content, etc.
> I don't know where we are on the metalink work...
>
> We could also alternately add to buildrawhide/branched now, and
> produce the content, then work on the metalink code, and in the mean
> time have people hit the master mirrors. I don't know if that would
> result in too much load tho.

oddshocks has been working on getting the commands needed into the
buildbranched and buildrawhide scripts.  AIUI he needed Colin's help
with understanding some details around the ostree and rpm-ostree
utilities.  There are different packages available in different Fedora
versions, and I think that's been confusing.  I believe he managed to
clear some but not all of that confusion up by talking to Colin.  AIUI
he's also sought some information from the rel-eng team on the various
tree locations that need to be used, and I think he got some of that
info this week too.

I volunteered David to help from my team because I know that rel-eng
has a lot going on.  For this process to work, I think we need a lot
better, and more detailed, information flowing from all involved.

AIUI there are still also some unanswered questions.  I'm going to ask
them caveman style because I sense they aren't being dealt with to
everyone's satisfaction.

* How often updates should be issued?  Who can decide this?

* Which releases are updated, i.e. does the ostree lifecycle differ
  from standard Fedora?  Does the Atomic team need to check in with
  FESCo about this?

* ...which leads to how much storage is going to be required.  We can
  get storage, this is an important project and that is not a
  blocker.  But we can't plan without any idea whatsoever of
  magnitude.  This has to come from the Atomic team AFAICT.

* Was it already figured out how mirrors deal with this content?
  Please understand the last I heard about the project, there was an
  issue with the number of HTTP requests involved.  I expect the code
  has moved on significantly since then.  Is there still some issue
  for mirrors?

> > So an alternative plan is to make Atomic just part of "alt" - not a
> > Fedora product.  Take it off the F21 download page and schedule.  Give
> > it its own landing page.  Mark it as beta.  Downloads just come from
> > alt.fp.org, there's no mirrorlist or metalink.
>
> Yep. That could be an option... would give more time to sort things
> out.
>
> > Composes are managed by atomic01.qa.fp.org, and done regularly, as
> > they are today.
> >
> > Maybe we return to it for Fedora 22?
>
> Right, if we can get metalink setup working it would make sense to
> retarget 22.

I don't want to be overly aggressive, but it would be disappointing if
we can't get this off the ground timely simply because knowledge isn't
being shared and questions aren't being asked and answered directly
and candidly.  I'm not sure that's the case here, but in poking around
I hear people saying they don't have information.  That seems out of
place in my Fedora experience, so it puzzles me.