Proposal: Fedora 21+ image naming scheme

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 10 22:27:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 10:33 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:

> I agree that it's not clear whether version/release is more or less
> significant than Product, that's a judgment call. It would be nice if
> the directory structure and the file names could use exactly the same
> order, but it doesn't have to be exact, so if there are practical issues
> regarding what kind of input the image-generating tools want, so be it.

So FWIW I went and looked at it again and I'm still kinda happy with my
ordering, but it it very subjective. I guess my conception of it is that
the fields run along a spectrum from defining "a thing" to defining "an
instance of that thing". To me, the distribution itself (Fedora) is the
high-level thing you want, then PRODUCT/LOADOUT and IMAGETYPE are the
sort of...sub-Thing. Fedora Workstation Live is a 'thing', to me.

IMAGETYPE does kind of shade over into the other end of the spectrum,
which is elements that are attributes defining a particular instance of
the "thing". VERSION is, well, the exact version of the "thing" you
want. ARCH is the arch. To me, x86_64 version 21 of "Fedora Workstation
Live" is a different iteration of the same "thing" as i686 version 22 of
"Fedora Workstation Live". But this may well all make sense only in my
head, I don't know :)

Did anyone have any other comments on the scheme? I think maybe we
should leave wiggle room till Alpha RC phase, then declare it
'production' and consider future changes with appropriate gravitas :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey