FAD proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:22:48 UTC 2015

One of Matthew Miller's goals for Fedora is to diversify our release
deliverables.  This is one reason the Fedora Engineering team is
bringing on a full-time person soon to work on release tools.  We want
to contribute to the Fedora release engineering effort too (as opposed
to simply asking existing folks to do more). :-)

I would expect over the first month or two in that role, our release
tools person will likely be:

* looking at the field of deliverables needed, across not just the
  products but also at containers and Project Atomic needs

* getting familiar with any current release processes as needed

* discussion with stakeholders in the project, including rel-eng,
  mattdm, infrastructure, and others, on this list and elsewhere about
  requirements

During this time, I'd expect there will be some decisions on process,
architecture, etc.  To kickstart development, I'd like to set up a FAD
where key community members, including developers and release
engineers, can start (or continue) working on actual code and
supporting infrastructure.

I started a wiki page here for interested people to sign up:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Release_Tools_and_Infrastructure_2015

There are some proposed dates listed on the wiki page.  None have been
fully decided yet.  I have preliminary approval from the FPL, and I'm
awaiting OSAS input on budget availability, and any time restrictions
from their POV.  There is a good chance we will do this at the Red Hat
Tower (HQ) in Raleigh, NC USA.  The event will not be restricted to
USA people, although we'll have to select a roster of people to meet
goals.

There's a specific section in the page for you to write your name and
any restrictions on dates.  This will help us make the best
date/location plan.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Release_Tools_and_Infrastructure_2015#Potential_Attendees