RPM Weak Dependencies and the install media compose process

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 10 21:03:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:05:24AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> 1) Follow the default DNF behavior: Requires: and Recommends: packages
> are included on the install media (and therefore also installed
> together onto the target system)

Can this have the inverse of the case in #3 (where Recommends are
followed by default, but could be explicitly removed by choice)?

> 3) Include only Requires: dependencies by default and require spin
> -kickstarts owners to explicitly add any Recommends or Suggests
> packages that they also want to include. Packages added explicitly will
> be installed as described in 2) (requiring additional comps.xml changes
> to include Suggests stuff)

I think I'm in favor of this one. I think a lot of the Recommends are
likely to be there because the recommended package is large or has a
large dep chain, and that might not be ideal for the install media.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>