FAD proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:36:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 03:17:17PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 04:22:48PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> [...snip...]
> > I started a wiki page here for interested people to sign up:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Release_Tools_and_Infrastructure_2015
> >
> > There are some proposed dates listed on the wiki page.  None have been
> > fully decided yet.  I have preliminary approval from the FPL, and I'm
> > awaiting OSAS input on budget availability, and any time restrictions
> > from their POV.  There is a good chance we will do this at the Red Hat
> > Tower (HQ) in Raleigh, NC USA.  The event will not be restricted to
> > USA people, although we'll have to select a roster of people to meet
> > goals.
> >
> > There's a specific section in the page for you to write your name and
> > any restrictions on dates.  This will help us make the best
> > date/location plan.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_Release_Tools_and_Infrastructure_2015#Potential_Attendees
>
> Right now the dates I'm thinking about are:
>
> May 29 - Jun 01
> Jun 05 - Jun 08
>
> We are going to have narrow down the cast of characters a bit.  We
> don't need every person with a stake in tools to be at the FAD.  I'd
> absolutely encourage, and we need to support, remote participation in
> the FAD.  As noted in the first email, the FAD will concentrate on
> coding, and whatever critical conversation needs to happen during that
> process.
>
> As several people pointed out to me in sidebar, the bigger the group
> gets, the more likely it's saddled with extra distractions or getting
> off in the weeds.  It's OK if code comes out that's less than perfect;
> if we don't have enough output, though, the FAD isn't successful.  I
> feel like a group of 7-8 people is probably about ideal.
>
> The absolutely essential people, in my mind, are:
> dgilmore, pbrobinson, tyll, maxamillion, lmacken, threebean, walters
>
> The intention here is not to shut anyone out.  In fact, the optimal
> thing would be for other participants to be around in IRC at least on
> Friday during FAD hours to participate, and/or to join some sort of
> real time session to stay tuned in to the proceedings.  In other
> words, physical presence is *not* a requirement to be involved.
> That's how FADs are supposed to work.
>
> I may have inadvertently left out someone critical.  If that's the
> case, my sincere apologies, and please respond to this and point out
> the oversight.

I talked a bit more with some folks from the above list.  We should
also bring in one person from the Koji upstream, to help with and
consult on plugins and changes needed in current Koji.  I'm talking
with mikeb and mikem about having one of them attend.

Based on this list, and the fact that my team members may be asked to
work with Mo Duffy the day before the FAD on a different activity,
it's looking like we'll do this in Westford.  (Might as well get
maximum bang from the travel money.)  There are a couple people in
Westford interested to stop by and contribute, so that's an added
bonus.

Based on availability of a Koji person as well as avoiding conflicts,
it's starting to look like we'll want to schedule for most arrivals
June 4, departing June 8 (with the core work days being June 5-7).
So, if anyone has a critical conflict with those dates, now's the time
to speak up. :-)