FAD Goals and deliverables

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 12 22:07:24 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:10:32PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

>> > Here are some things that have been under previous discussion some
>> > time but which I don't see on this list:
>> >
>> > * Koji 2 -- What does it look like?  How does it work vs. current
>> >   Koji?  How will it change compose processes?
>> at this point in time it does not exist at all. we can not assume anything
>> about it. I have asked the koji devs to start planning and get moving, but
>> right now thwere is no such thing.
>
> Right, I didn't mean to imply with present tense that I thought it
> did.  I was more asking for some sort of concept, so that as we are
> building tools we aren't setting up for something that has to be
> completely rewritten 12-18 months from now.
>
>> > * Composedb -- Dennis has talked about this many times.  Is it still
>> >   meant to happen?  Is there e.g. a schema design?
>> Mathieu Bridon was tasked with this but AFAIK there is nothing existing for it
>> yet. Again we need to move forward without it :( though it is something that I
>> do really want. Perhaps he can give us an idea where it stands.
>>
>> > I'm not against items in the previous list getting done at the FAD.
>> > But I guess I was asking what will happen wrt. the revolutionary list
>> > beyond discussion (which is what the list is for).  IOW, leaving the
>> > FAD with a vague consensus that "yeah, we'll take care of all that
>> > with composedb, whatever/whenever that is" would be more like kicking
>> > the can down the road.
>>
>> To me they are Bonus things we need. but they do not come out of thin air. I
>> have tried to keep the list to concrete things that by the end of the FAD is
>> complete and will majorly change the way we produce not only rawhide but
>> Fedora.
>
> There are some great things on that list for sure.  One additional
> thing that needs to be reality by the time the FAD is over, if not
> before (and I realize this is already the province of another thread):
>
> * Establishing git repos/branches and a review process so work on
>   tools happens regardless of what stage the release is actually in.
>
> I would encourage looking at how this is done in the fedora-infra
> related projects, especially since it seems Pagure 0.1.x works for
> that purpose.  It's about more than the tool, though, it's also about
> spreading the ability (and responsibility) for code reviews across
> many people so things can always move forward.

The Rel-Eng group has been involved in conversations with the Infra
Team about pagure which is more or less what spawned the thread about
the git workflow in the past[0] so we're definitely trying to keep in
alignment there. +1

-AdamM

[0] - https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/rel-eng/2015-April/019796.html