Proposal for new docs workflow

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sat Oct 17 16:23:40 UTC 2015

On 10/16/2015 02:24 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:18:34AM -0500, Pete Travis wrote:

>> such that:

>>> Minor technical point, but do or Pierre think it's possible to
>>> integrate readthedocs functionality with Pagure, such that a push to
>>> your Sphinx docs would regenerate the site there?
>>>
>>> Obviously readthedocs is itself FOSS so perhaps we could contribute a
>>> patch for this upstream, since it seems like it's at least partly a
>>> function of that site.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Paul W. Frields
>> FWIW, the thing I'm putting together for docs.fp.o is intended to support
>> continuous delivery of documentation from git repos full of rst files.  I
>> don't know if you want to wait for it, but when ready, we can simply add
>> some metadata to the articles (I did this for infra-docs already) and plug
>> the repo into the system.
> Pete, might be going OT for this list, in which case we can go
> elsewhere, but how does that differ from readthedocs?  I'm curious
> what's missing there that might affect other places our team's using
> it.

Readthedocs gives you one site per resource, so you'd have ie
fedora-releng.readthedocs.org as one big book about fedora's release
engineering .  I want to present many resources in a browseable way, so
this will also generate category pages, navigation structure, etc.  The
goal is to put things like releng, apps, infra, qa docs in one place
where they can interlink, along with user facing docs of all types.  The
goal is to offload *everyone's* publishing and formatting work to one
place, so you really only have to worry about content.

-- Pete

(reply to all fail, sorry for the noise, Paul)