Development Workflow Proposal

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 28 16:54:39 UTC 2015

Hello all,
    In the weekly Rel-Eng meeting on 2015-09-28 there was a discussion
topic on the "drop rawhide-stable tag and consider master branch to be
always stable"[0] trac ticket. This in turn spawned a discussion about
how we in Rel-Eng do development in general and our workflow for
bringing patches into something that is known as "stable".

I would like to propose to the group what is generally called the
"git-flow" style of git workflow. It is documented in the following:

With a tool called 'gitflow' that helps with this process and is
packaged in the Fedora repositories.

http://jeffkreeftmeijer.com/2010/why-arent-you-using-git-flow/

Following along with the trac ticket that sparked this conversation, I
would like to propose that we remove both the rawhide-stable and
twoweek-stable tags and instead run everything in production cron jobs
from master. All development will happen in "topic branches" or
"feature branches" (depending on your preference of terminology) and
those will merged into a new branch called "develop" via pull request
into pagure. Then  we merge develop into master as the develop branch
stabilizes.

That's it in a nutshell, I'm looking forward to feedback.

Thanks,
-AdamM

[0] - https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6262