Relicensing of Bodhi to GPLv2+

Nick Bebout nick at bebout.net
Tue Oct 18 18:13:52 UTC 2011

== Goals ==

* Be able to share code among the various pieces we write.
* Not have our libraries force a specific license on the apps that we write.
* Not have conflicting licenses between our apps and our libraries
* Have a clear understanding of the steps we must take whenever we want to move code from an application under one license to a library under a different one.
* Protect the code we write from being taken proprietary (note, this is not the same for every author.  Mirrormanager, for instance, is under the MIT/X11 License).
* Be able to stay compliant with licenses within our production, staging, and publictest environments

== Preferred Licenses ==

In general, Fedora Infrastructure has chosen to use the family of GNU Public Licenses in order to keep the software free.  The particular licenses chosen aim to make the software compatible with as much software as possible while still keeping this goal.

The preferred license for anything that we write is GPLv2+.  This lets our code be used in both GPLv2 and GPLv3 code bases.

The preferred license for python modules and other libraries is LGPLv2+.  This lets us use the library with applications with different licenses like MIT and not force the application as a whole to fall under the GPL.

Note that working with upstreams that have their own licenses or needs of the community that will be using the software can lead to different licensing choices on a case-by-case basis.  This guidance is meant to make life easier for us as we develop code while supporting the expansion of free software.

Please reply to relicensing at fedoraproject.org

My iPhone is not set up to send from that address, so simply hitting reply will not work.

Thanks,

Nick

Sent from my iPhone