[Fedora Robotics] The road ahead

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Fri Aug 1 21:19:38 UTC 2008

Hi Fedora robotics enthusiasts.

Many review requests are open and we have big plans. I will block some
time in the coming weeks to really get this going, and with John working
on a demo I think it can work out in a not-so-long time.

I'm back from China for a little more than a week now. It was pretty
exhausting and a pretty exciting event. We finished second in the
RoboCup at Home league and are pleased with the result, I'll blog some more
about it later. On the Fedora side I can tell that I've talked to a
member of the executive committee of the league and he was quite
interested in our Fedora efforts. I think if we get that LiveCD rolling
we can really spawn some interest!
Hedayat and me met in person. Although both pretty busy we had a short
chat. It's always good to meet the people you work with in real life.
Hopefully we can make this happen for this SIG at some point in time.

For the next days I plan to get the Player blocker things out of the way
and package the current 2.1.1 stable release. So with the input of Jef I
hope we can get this rolling real soon now. In September I'll be in
South Africa meeting colleagues in Cape Town and then at the INSITE 2008
 exhibition in Johannesburg (http://www.insitex.co.za/). I've been on
the INSITE in 2006 and one of the interesting things they showed was the
Freedom Toaster (http://www.freedomtoaster.org/). Open Source software
has quite some impact there so if we would have a demo of that LiveCD by
then...

John, I'm really curious about your findings. Arindam, did you start
looking into Gazebo packaging? Hedayat, just saw that the 3D server got
approved, awesome! Congratulations again to your success in China! Jeff,
did you look into that Geos 3 patch?

So it's probably time for a new meeting and some wiki updates. What
about next Wednesday, August 6th 2008 at 16:00 UTC?

Regards from Aachen,
	Tim

--
    Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>      www.niemueller.de