[Fedora Robotics] The road ahead

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayatv at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 21:36:51 UTC 2008

Hi Tim,

/*Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>*/ wrote on 08/02/2008 01:49:38 AM:
> Hi Fedora robotics enthusiasts.
>
> Many review requests are open and we have big plans. I will block some
> time in the coming weeks to really get this going, and with John working
> on a demo I think it can work out in a not-so-long time.
>
> I'm back from China for a little more than a week now. It was pretty
> exhausting and a pretty exciting event. We finished second in the
> RoboCup at Home league and are pleased with the result, I'll blog some more
> about it later. On the Fedora side I can tell that I've talked to a
> member of the executive committee of the league and he was quite
> interested in our Fedora efforts. I think if we get that LiveCD rolling
> we can really spawn some interest!
> Hedayat and me met in person. Although both pretty busy we had a short
> chat. It's always good to meet the people you work with in real life.
> Hopefully we can make this happen for this SIG at some point in time.

Yes, that meeting was really interesting. :) Also, congratulations again!

> For the next days I plan to get the Player blocker things out of the way
> and package the current 2.1.1 stable release. So with the input of Jef I
> hope we can get this rolling real soon now. In September I'll be in
> South Africa meeting colleagues in Cape Town and then at the INSITE 2008
>  exhibition in Johannesburg (http://www.insitex.co.za/). I've been on
> the INSITE in 2006 and one of the interesting things they showed was the
> Freedom Toaster (http://www.freedomtoaster.org/). Open Source software
> has quite some impact there so if we would have a demo of that LiveCD by
> then...

Interesting! I hope that we can prepare the LiveCD before that. And I
think that I'm getting interested in p/s/g too! Maybe they can have a
role in the future of 3D soccer server too. (I'm too new to p/s/g stuff,
do you have any ideas in this area?!)

> John, I'm really curious about your findings. Arindam, did you start
> looking into Gazebo packaging? Hedayat, just saw that the 3D server got
> approved, awesome! Congratulations again to your success in China! Jeff,
> did you look into that Geos 3 patch?

Thanks a lot! :)

> So it's probably time for a new meeting and some wiki updates. What
> about next Wednesday, August 6th 2008 at 16:00 UTC?

That's fine for me.

Good luck,
Hedayat