[Fedora Robotics] p/s/g demo client program

John McLean jesusfreak91 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:44:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Arindam Ghosh wrote:

> On 8/5/08, jesusfreak91 at gmail.com <jesusfreak91 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've been asked to write up a demo client program for player/stage/gazebo
>> that we might could use in a robotics livecd to show off the capabilities of
>> player.  I'm still not 100% sure what exactly we're looking for, but here's
>> a rough description on what I'm thinking about now:
>>
>> I'll design a small gui interface similar to that of playerv.  Users will be
>> able to control the robot through this interface, using either the keyboard
>> or mouse (don't know which yet).  If I have time/the ability to, I'll add in
>> support for a gripper and things like that.  I'll also write up a few small
>> client programs that autonomously navigate the robot based on sensor data.
>> In the gui, the user can have to option to use one of those programs to
>> control the robot.
>>
>> I realize the above sounds pretty similar to playerv, but I can't think of
>> what else to do that would meet our needs as I understand them.  Any
>> suggestions/comments/critiques would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> +1 for this....this gui (can be done by pygtk etc) is what i suggested
> at one of the previos meeting...go on...start with player first and
> then add stage part into it....it'll accomplish one of the primary
> goals in the p/s/g context...just tell if you need any help :)

If you get the chance (assuming you haven't already) take some time to
play around with playerv and/or playerjoy.  See what parts of those meet
our needs, and what parts don't.  That'll help me out in designing an
application.  And if it turns out that those two meet our needs, then I'll
move on to some other area that needs work done.

> And Tim.....i started working on gazebo and resolved some issues...yet
> some build problems persists which i'm looking into...

When you get a working rpm/srpm let me know :) I've been wanting to play
around with gazebo to get a feel for how it works, but I can't get it
compiled on my system.

--John