[Fedora Robotics] Introduction & Phidgets

Egon Kastelijn egon at kastelijn.nu
Thu Sep 11 10:25:42 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I recently joined your robotics-list.

Let me introduce myself:
I am Egon Kastelijn and I live in The Netherlands.
I have been working on my personal robot for many years now, but I do not
have any physical result yet. ;)
This is mainly caused by the fact that my robot does not have a clear
Mission yet, and that most of my time has gone into the Java brain that I
am programming. (environment-modelling and path-planning)

Some time ago I discovered Phidgets.
http://www.phidgets.com/

Phidgets are easy to use USB devices (sensors-kits/motor-controllers/etc)
that work very well under Linux. They can even be accessed using Java.
The LGPL code that they provide compiles very well, but there are no RPMs
(yet).

So I decided to create them.
I have a .spec file, and the rpmbuild produces a nice SRPM, i686 and
x86_64 RPMs. (and debuginfo)

My questions:
* Is this (phidget hardware support) something that belongs within this SIG?
And:
I am planning on putting the RPMs in my own yum repository soon.
* Is there a way that I can contribute to get this software in the Fedora
distribution?

kind regards,

  Egon Kastelijn