[Fedora Robotics] t restore the mind of his darling. Unkn

Deroven digitigrade at innov8.nu
Tue Jan 12 23:12:35 UTC 2010

Ertain the truth of the ridiculous stories which were current about her.
What were my feelings on beholding my own niece! Fleuriot told me all he
knew of her dreadful history. I took the poor man with my niece back to
my home in Auvergne, where, unfortunately, I lost him some months later.
He had some slight control over Madame de Vandieres; he alone could
induce her to wear clothing. 'Adieu,' that word, which is her only
language, she seldom uttered at that time. Fleuriot had endeavored to
awaken in her a few ideas, a few memories of the past; but he failed;
all that he gained was to make her say that melancholy word a little
oftener. Still, the grenadier knew how to amuse her and play with her;
my hope was in him, but--" He was silent for a moment. "Here," he
continued, "she has found another creature, with whom she seems to have
some strange understanding. It is a poor idiotic peasant-girl, who, in
spite of her ugliness and stupidity, loved a man, a mason. The mason was
willing to marry her, as she had some property. Poor Genevieve was happy
for a year; she dressed in her best to dance with her lover on Sunday;
she comprehended love; in her heart and soul there was room for that one
sentiment. But the mason, Dallot, reflected. He found a girl with all
her senses, and more land than Genevieve, and he deserted the poor
creature. Since then she has lost the little intellect that love
developed in her; she can do nothing but watch the cows, or help at
harvesting. My niece and this poor girl are friends, apparently by some
invisible chain of their common destiny, by the sentiment in each which
has caused their madness. See!" added Stephanie's uncle, leading the
marquis to a window. The latter then saw the countess seated on the
ground between Genevieve's legs. The peasant-girl, a