[Fedora Robotics] unified robots udev and policykit rules package

Hedayat Vatankhah hedayatv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:06:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

/*Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>*/ wrote on 02/03/2011 2:32:43 AM +0350:
> On 02.02.2011 23:29, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> thoughts?
> I think udev rules should be in the package driving the hardware, not
> somewhere else in a robot-control package. For example,
> openni-primesense (in review) carries such a file for the PrimeSense and
> Kinect, and I don't see that this should belong anywhere else. I don't
> like that centralization.
I also agree with Tim. If there are any kind of drivers or libraries
which is used for accessing a specific hardware, corresponding udev
rules can be packaged with that driver of library.
However, it seems that lego NXT robot's device doesn't have any special
accessing libraries, and packages like nbc and nxt_python access the
device file directly.

Anyway, many hardware parts of robots do have such drivers, and that's
the better place to put udev rules (and probably policykit rules?!). If
the policykit rule is common for all robot devices (e.g. devices under a
specific group like "robot-control" group), it can be packaged in a
single package which robotic device packages depend on. Or, as Tim
proposed below be integrated in udev and/or PolicyKit packages themselves.

Now, if lego NXT doesn't have any drivers (isn't there any common code
in both nbc and nxt_python which can be extracted as a separate
package?); then I think using a package just for udev (& PK) rules is
fine. Small packages is not anything new (e.g. Fonts SIG has some rules
for font packaging which can result in many small packages). In fact,
with appropriate package provides, we can also automate the process of
installing required packages for a specific hardware (like what is now
done for printer drivers and fonts). For example, you'll plug a lego nxt
robot for the first time, and PackageKit automatically prompts you for
installing appropriate driver/udev/PK rules package. I'm not saying that
we should go for it, but it can be done!

Good luck,
Hedayat