[Fedora Robotics] unified robots udev and policykit rules package

Tim Niemueller tim at niemueller.de
Fri Feb 4 14:36:41 UTC 2011

Hi Martin.

I see your point, but I still have my doubts about a single package to
rule them all.

You did not reply to my question/proposal, so I repeat it:

I haven't looked for it myself, yet, so I'm asking if it is possible to
have kind of a udev/polkit framework package which:
- sets up a robots group or some kind of entity we can later assign
devices and their rules to
- include appropriate udev rule and polkit configuration/machinery to
grant the console user, and any user in a "robots" group, access to said
devices

Then, add-on packages with udev rules for such devices can be created,
which hook into this infrastructure, avoiding the need to carry similar
structure for udev/polkit by themselves. If that framework is a line or
none besides setting up the group, I'd argue we should try to get this
group added to wherever for example the dialout group comes from.

A problem is that several of the devices you mentioned (like the
Arduino), are not robotic devices per se, they simply can be used in
that domain as well. Therefore having a "robot-control" or similar
package is not what people would be looking for.

I'd suggest to create per-hardware packages that carry the required
rules. You could have an arduino package, which has the udev rules and
anything else required. It is either self-sufficient, or would depend on
the framework package described above. For other hardware, for example
the primesense camera, it makes sense to carry the rules in the library
package. If we would, however, also package libfreenect, my suggestion
would be create a primesense-udev-rules package, which both of those
libs depend on.

Hope that makes it clearer. I'm ever more convinced a central package is
the wrong way, it also reminds me of the bad old times when we had a
static /dev.

	Tim

--
     Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de>      www.niemueller.de