[Fedora Robotics] ROS packaging

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:52:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Rich Mattes <richmattes at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> Today's release of ROS Fuerte includes progress towards the ROS
> Enhancement Proposal (REP) 122 - Filesystem Hierarchy Standard layout
> changes for ROS[1].  With these changes to the ROS layout, I think we will
> finally be able to make progress towards packaging ROS for inclusion in
> Fedora.  I've set up a wiki page to track our progress[2], please read it
> over and let me know if I'm out of my mind or missing anything important.
>
> To get the ball rolling, I've also created preliminary packages for some
> of the python tools that the ROS install guide wants Fedora users to
> easy_install (vcstools, rosinstall, and rospkg.)  I'm going to work on
> cleaning them up and testing them over the next couple of days; I'll push
> them to my fedorapeople webspace once I have something worth sharing.
>
> Rich
>

> [1] http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0122.html
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics/ROS_Packaging

Quick update:  I've got a first cut at packages for rostinstall and
vcstools.  You can find them at http://rmattes.fedorapeople.org/rospackages/

I'll be adding further packages to that location as I go on.  Please try
them out (rosinstall depends on vcstools) and let me know if there are any
issues and improvements.

Rich