ruby 1.9.1 in fedora 12

John Taber john at tigernassau.com
Mon Nov 9 15:08:16 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 01:40 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 11/09/2009 08:59 AM, John Taber wrote:
>> the patch seems to work okay.  is a 1.9.1 package in the repository for
>> F12 now with the openssl patch ?
>
> For ruby 1.9.1 to co-exist with the current 1.8.6 a package review
> must be completed.

since F12 is about out the door - is this scheduled ?  can it be added
into repository after F12 is released ?

>  Also how is package naming working for
>> the different versions (ie 1.9.1 vs 1.8.6 vs 1.9.2 - is ruby ee going to
>> be supported in Fedora ?
>
> If we let 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 co-exist, one of them will be a compat-
> package (probably the 1.8.6 version will be renamed), and the binaries
> would have search paths appropriate for each of them.

I think that's the right way - 1.9.1 should now be the default version
though many are still running on 1.8.6.  The reason people give me that
they are still running 1.8.6 is that not all gems are running on 1.9.1
though that is shrinking in size

> Ruby EE is an entirely different story... Is this used much?

I think it is used on some big server apps - it is supposed to be much
more optimized and faster than base 1.8.6 but have not seen many
comparisons to 1.9.1 and none to whatever is in 1.9.2 (wonder if 1.9.2
now includes the new big "speedup" that was recently announced.

>  I'm on a couple of ruby user group mail lists
>> so can announce it to get more feedback - not that many Fedora users n
>> the Ruby camp - mostly Mac, but working on it:)
>>

> I think there's a bunch of people in Fedora using Ruby though, they're
> just not as much part of the Ruby camp as the other people in the Ruby
> camp, I guess ;-)

While many Ruby people develop on Macs, I doubt too many deploy to Mac
servers - thus, I bet Ruby on Fedora is used more often on the server.
Of course some of us run only Fedora on our MacBooks :)