ruby 1.9.1 in fedora 12

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Mon Nov 9 16:58:17 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 01:40 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:08:16AM -0700, John Taber wrote:
> >
> > Ruby EE is an entirely different story... Is this used much?
>
> I think it is used on some big server apps - it is supposed to be much
> more optimized and faster than base 1.8.6 but have not seen many
> comparisons to 1.9.1 and none to whatever is in 1.9.2 (wonder if 1.9.2
> now includes the new big "speedup" that was recently announced.

Its used a fair bit with people that use Phusion Passenger and other
locations that primarily want a copy-on-write friendly ruby when forking.

> >  I'm on a couple of ruby user group mail lists
> >> so can announce it to get more feedback - not that many Fedora users n
> >> the Ruby camp - mostly Mac, but working on it:)
> >>

> > I think there's a bunch of people in Fedora using Ruby though, they're
> > just not as much part of the Ruby camp as the other people in the Ruby
> > camp, I guess ;-)
>
> While many Ruby people develop on Macs, I doubt too many deploy to Mac
> servers - thus, I bet Ruby on Fedora is used more often on the server.
> Of course some of us run only Fedora on our MacBooks :)

I'd say CentOS and RHEL are quite popular for deploying ruby :-).  Running
ruby apps on CentOS is a big part of I became a Fedora contributor.
We wanted haproxy, beanstalk and nginx available as rpms, and now they are.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org