ruby 1.9.1 in fedora 12

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Nov 11 17:36:26 UTC 2009

On 11/09/2009 10:37 PM, John Taber wrote:
> Jeroen,
>
> On 11/09/2009 10:29 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> I'm just saying that, from my perspective, with my limited Ruby
>> knowledge, I'm reluctant to push out 1.9.1 as a default whereas a
>> thousand-and-one applications might not work with it.
>>

> I understand the issue with related packages. btw I just looked up
> Puppet - version 0.25.1 should be supporting 1.9.1 according to bug fix
> report. We're not using it but I'll ask around.
>
> How about if I start a section of the wiki page to list out dependencies
> and key gems needed to move to 1.9.1 - just need to register for access
> - anything special I need ?

A Fedora Account System account should suffice, which you can create on
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/

A list of what we think is "the bunch of crucial gems" to the Ruby
platform would be nice. This would create a soft of critical path wrt.
major.minor.teeny upgrades of Ruby, where upstream does a relatively bad
job at making sure teeny versions have stable API/ABI.

It's also worth noting that if ruby 1.8.6 is the default, and
compat-ruby-1.9.1 becomes available, gems for 1.9.1 either need to be
repackaged for 1.9.1 (as a compat package, too), or the regular "gem
install" must be used (gem-1.9.1 install actually). I'm not sure yet
what is the best route here, and what kind of possibilities exist. Maybe
installing a .gem twice in the RPM spec suffices (once with ruby_sitedir
and once with ruby_191_sitedir, in a for loop, or something).

%global ruby_versions 1.8.6 1.9.1

%install
for rubyver in %{ruby_versions}; do
   gem-$rubyver install %{SOURCE0}
done

%files -n compat-ruby-1.8.6-%{name}
(...)

%files -n compat-ruby-1.9.1-%{name}
(...)

Let's see what works here, and what is preferable.

>>> While many Ruby people develop on Macs, I doubt too many deploy to Mac
>>> servers - thus, I bet Ruby on Fedora is used more often on the server.
>>> Of course some of us run only Fedora on our MacBooks :)
>>>

>> And, let's not forget those Enterprise Linux descendants of Fedora, an
>> often deployed platform for (large) production environments.
>>

> I think Jeremy's post addressed this. Hal Fulton (author of Ruby Way)
> gave a talk at the DFW users group on working with EE - that's what I
> know of it. We're just using 1.9.1.
>
> Switch to 1.9.1 in F13 could be discussed at Fudcon but can't justify
> spending money to leave sunny warm southwest to go to cold, gray Toronto
> in winter - maybe a sponsored contributor going there could address it
> if need be.

I'm there, so the least I can do is pitch the session -I will- and send
the summary to the list. Is there anyone on the list who's going to be
there?

-- Jeroen