ruby rails, gem packages

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Oct 26 06:23:29 UTC 2009

On 10/26/2009 02:22 AM, John Taber wrote:
> On 10/25/2009 02:22 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> The way I understand what you are saying is that you don't see what
>> added value creating RPM packages of gems has.  I'm going to try and
>> explain a few of the arguments here;
>>
>> (...snip...)
>>
> I agree with your reasons, it is just so much work to keep up - it is
> like running a parallel rubyforge or gemcutter.  Also,  what happens
> when a user wants to use a gem not supported by Fedora ? then the user
> must use gem install anyway (unless Fedora wants to package them all ?)

It is a lot of work to keep up; if there's only a handful of people
participating ;-)

Packaging gems is relatively easy, especially if you do not have to
patch them and they do not compile any binaries. See also my earlier
message
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2009-October/000006.html,
where I essentially describe problems with gems on one hand, and trying
to find a way around those problems in our package management.

-- Jeroen